Wedding invitations are the red carpet to your star-studded event, but they can also cost more than the entire Oscars ceremony! The good news? If you’re a bride on a budget, there are several ways to achieve low cost wedding invitations while making a lasting first impression for your wedding day. In this article, we’ll cover 7 tips for budget-friendly wedding invitations so you can keep more money in your pockets while planning your dream wedding.
Note: When you shop via links on our site, we may earn a small commission if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting The Savvy Swaréy. Learn more.
Before we get started, here’s a look at what we’ll cover, in case you want to skip ahead 😉
- 7 tips for affordable wedding invitations
- Digital Wedding Invitation Options
- Top Wedding Websites for RSVP Tracking
OK, let’s get into it, shall we?
7 Tips for Low Cost wedding invitations
#1 | Keep it Simple
Remember the acronym KISS (Keep it simple, stupid)? The same idea applies if you’re looking to keep wedding invitation costs low – simplicity is key.
- Skip the embellishments. Foil printing and letterpress looks fancy, but these design choices will make a huge dent in your wallet.
- Choose a simplistic design. Layered lay-flat designs are an economical choice for DIY printing, while all-in-one wedding invitations cut shipping costs.
- Consider size and shape. Pay attention to the size and scale of your design as well, as oddly shaped invitations may require additional postage.
Bottom line? Opting for a more streamlined design is the best option for low cost wedding invitations.
#2 | Templates are Your Friend
Completely bespoke wedding invitations are the ultimate dream, of course; however, there are a plethora of pre-designed wedding suites available out there on sites like Etsy and Canva to fit your desired wedding theme.
Plus, most all are completely customizable, so you’re able to easily incorporate your unique style. So, don’t poo poo the predesigned wedding invitation route right out the gate. Take a look around first… I’m pretty sure you’ll find some designs that’ll strike your fancy.
In my Complete Guide to DIY wedding invitations, I go over how to select and customize your template and provide a list of top wedding invitation template resources.
#3 | Skip the Fancy Envelope for Low Cost Wedding Invitations
Here’s a little secret on how to keep more dough in your pockets when it comes to your wedding invitations. Don’t break the bank on fancy envelopes, they’re basically just a one-way ticket to the trash can. It’s what’s inside that counts! Plus, it’s the easiest way to cut costs without changing a thing about your design or printing plans.
But, if you’re a stickler for the details, there are some low-cost ways to jazz up those basic envelopes like DIY liners or choosing stamps that complement your theme.
#4 | Use an Online Printing Service
Many online printing services offer competitive prices on wedding invitations and stationery. Some popular options include Vistaprint, Minted, and Shutterfly. Just be sure to shop around and compare prices before making a decision.
For recommendations, including pros and cons to consider in your selection, check out the list of wedding invitation online printing services.
Planning a Wedding on A Budget? Get The Guide.As a former bride on a budget, I found the wedding planning tips and tricks in the Budget Savvy Wedding Planner and Organizer so, so helpful. It was the best combination that I found out there of organization meets real planning advice for couples looking to plan an affordable wedding.
#5 | DIY or Bust for Low Cost Wedding Invitations
If you have a quality printer and decent cardstock, you can print your own invitations and stationery at home. In going this route, you’ll not only save money on wedding invitation printing costs, it’ll also give you a sense of accomplishment. Just be sure to buy extra paper and ink to account for potential redos! Though you have my full confidence, it’s best to err on the side of caution, in my opinion.
For more on this topic, view the complete guide on DIY wedding invitations.
#6 | Ditch the RSVP Cards
Nowadays (wow, don’t I sound old…), digital wedding invites and RSVPs are more widely used and accepted. Instead of an RSVP card, which adds to your production and postage costs, have your guests RSVP online.
There are tons of sites that offer free wedding websites you can customize to fit your wedding theme. Find my shortlist of wedding planning websites that offer free tools and templates below.
#7 | Opt for Digital Wedding Invitations
If you’re truly looking for a low cost wedding invitation, consider a digital save-the-date, or perhaps go all out with digital wedding invitations.
Sending a digital invitation via email or through a website like Evite is a budget-friendly and environmentally considerate option to dramatically cut costs on wedding invite printing costs altogether. Plus, you’ll skip out on a trip to the post office. Surprisingly, those stamps can really add up there at the end.
Looking for more? Keep reading for additional resources to help you save on your big day by going all in on the digital wedding invitation route, including using free wedding websites to help manage RSVPs.
Digital Wedding Invitations & Save-the-Dates
These websites offer a variety of features to help make planning your wedding easier, including the ability to create a personalized wedding website and track RSVPs from your guests.
Want to know how to really cut costs on your wedding invites and stationery? Going digital is perhaps the number one option for brides on a budget. And the best part is, there are many options available for designing and sending digital wedding invitations with RSVP management solutions.
Some popular options include:
- Evite: Evite is a popular online invitation service that allows you to create and send customizable digital wedding invitations. They offer a range of designs to choose from and provide tools for managing RSVPs and guest lists.
- Paperless Post: Paperless Post is an online platform for creating and sending digital invitations and stationery. They offer a wide range of digital wedding invite designs and allow you to track RSVPs and manage your guest list online.
- Punchbowl: Punchbowl offers a range of digital invitation designs for weddings and other events. They provide tools for managing RSVPs and guest lists, as well as options for collecting gifts and well-wishes from guests.
- Greenvelope: Greenvelope is an online invitation and stationery service that allows you to create customizable digital wedding invitations and stationery. They offer a range of designs and provide tools for managing RSVPs and guest lists.
- Smilebox: Smilebox is an online service that allows you to create and send customizable digital invitations and stationery for events such as weddings. They offer a range of design options for digital wedding invitations with RSVP and guest list management.
free Wedding Planning Websites
One of the top 5 tips for low cost wedding invitations is to skip the RSVP card. But, how then do you manage said RSVPs? Don’t worry, I’ve got you. Here are five websites that brides can use to create a free wedding website and track guest responses.
- WeddingWire: WeddingWire offers free wedding websites with customizable designs, and allows you to track RSVPs and manage your guest list all in one place.
- Zola: Zola’s free wedding planning websites come with features like RSVP tracking, a customizable URL, and the ability to add your registry.
- Joy: Joy’s free wedding website builder includes features like RSVP tracking, a customizable URL, and the ability to add your registry.
- The Knot: The Knot offers free wedding websites with customizable designs and a variety of tools to help you manage your guest list, including RSVP tracking.
Now, It’s Your Turn. Let’s Recap.
There are several fun and budget-friendly ways to save on your wedding invitations without sacrificing style or quality. Whether you design your own, use online printing services or go the digital wedding invite route, there are plenty of options to help you create budget-friendly wedding invitations.
Just remember, when in doubt, opt for simpler designs. Shop around to make sure you’re getting the best price. And, use digital options wherever you’re comfortable for maximum savings. So, put on your thinking cap and use these tips to make your wedding planning process as easy and stress-free as possible. Happy planning!
The Savvy Swaréy