Are you hosting this holiday season and worried about spending a fortune on top of your Christmas list? Well, ’tis the season to get crafty and creative with your holiday decor! Elevate your Christmas party ambiance with a stunning DIY christmas garland that’s as festive as it is budget-friendly. With just a few Dollar Tree tablecloths and some basic supplies, you’ll be able to deck your halls for holiday celebrations in style without the price tag. No prior crafting experience needed!
So, get ready to create some holiday magic and let’s dive into this easy and affordable Christmas Dollar Tree DIY project that will make your party sparkle without breaking the bank!
If you’d like to jump to a particular section, I’ve outlined below what you’ll find in this article, including my video tutorial if you’re more of a visual learner.
- DIY Christmas Garland Supplies
- DIY Christmas Garland Instructions and Video Tutorial
- Final Touches and Tips
Note: When you shop via links on our site, we may earn a small commission if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting The Savvy Swaréy. Learn more.
Introducing, The Easiest DIY Christmas Party Decoration.
In this article, you’ll find a step-by-step tutorial to create a beautiful DIY Christmas garland. This make at home fringe garland is the perfect DIY Christmas party decoration to outfit any festive occasion — from Christmas Eve parties, to holiday-themed showers, and even a friendsmas with your closest pals.
This Christmas Dollar Tree DIY will:
- Only take you a few hours from start to finish
- Result in the completion of (2) 5’ festive fringe garlands
- Only cost you $5 if you follow my Dollar Tree supply list
Have I convinced you to try this project yet?! Either way… let’s get into it, shall we?!
DIY Christmas Garland Supplies
First, let’s go through the materials list. To make this DIY Dollar Tree Christmas Garland, here are the supplies you’ll need:
- (3) 8’ Dollar Tree tablecloths in red, green, and silver
- Roll of String
- Tape Measure (optional)
Feel free to use alternate color combinations and make this your own.
Also, you can of course purchase your tablecloths from another source if you’d like, you just might spend a bit more! Here is a link to an Amazon option you can consider.
Mixed Tablecloth 12 Pc Pack
Perfect if you need tablecloths for your party as well, you can use a few for your project and the rest for your tables!
DIY Christmas Garland Instructions
Next, let’s get into the step-by-step process for creating this gorgeous DIY Christmas Garland. Both the instructions below and the video follow the same process, so choose your preference to suit your preferred demonstration style!
STEP 1: Gather your supplies (listed above)
STEP 2: Unfurl your first table cloth to 54” (or half-way) and cut. Again, this is where your tape measure will come in handy, but it’s not required. You can simply unroll the full length of your tablecloth and then fold it in half to find the middle.
STEP 3: Cut 2” strips along the entire length of the table cloth. Set each strip aside as you go to create a pile of strips for that color.
STEP 4: Repeat this process with your other two table cloths. You’ll end up with three piles of 2” strips – one of each color when you’re done.
STEP 5: Unroll your string horizontally along your work surface to your desired length.
STEP 6: Next, it’s time to add your fringe! Here is the sequence you’ll repeat for each of the 2” strips you cut. I do recommend watching my fringe garland video tutorial for this part!
1.Wrap a strip around your hand to create a loop
2. Place that loop over top of your string
3. Check that the ends of your strip are touching and even and adjust if needed
4. Pinch the loop and string together using your thumb and forefinger
5. Take the ends of your tablecloth strip underneath the string and up through the loop
6. Hold your string tight and gently pull the ends of the strip until they are taught and you have a knot along the string
7. Repeat this sequence with the next two colors and continue alternating until you’ve used up all of your strips
STEP 7: At each end, tie a solid knot to prevent your fringe from sliding off your string.
You’ll repeat all of these same steps once more to get two full fringe garlands!
Final Touches and Tips
Congrats! I’m so proud you made it through the tutorial. You should now have two beautiful festive fringe Garlands to help deck your halls for your holiday party. There’s just a few more tips and final touches I have for you before you go.
A couple of additional ideas and suggestions to consider:
1. Install Using Command Hooks
Use command hooks for easy damage-free installation of your DIY Christmas garland anywhere.
2. Consider placement. Position your garlands at key areas of your Christmas party for the biggest impact such as your entrance, or a photo opp area. This would also be perfect along a fireplace mantel.
3. Make it Your Own. Feel free to add personal touches and embellishments to your garland to make this your own such as evergreen sprigs, holly, tinsel, etc.
Share Your Creations!
And there you have it, your very own DIY Christmas party garlands that exude festive charm without breaking your budget! With some simple crafting and a little holiday spirit, you’ve created a decorative piece that will make your Christmas celebrations truly special.
Share your beautiful creations with us by following @SavvySwarey on Instagram and tag #savvyswarey.
Here’s wishing you all a merry and bright Christmas season filled with warmth, love, and unforgettable moments.
– The Savvy Swaréy